What is the best tool to test REST API?
An API (Application Programming Interface), is a set of software functions and procedures that can be used to access and execute other software applications. API testing entails sending calls to the API, receiving output, and logging the system’s response using software. API Testing functionalities become more crucial in Agile development as development cycles become shorter, putting more demand on automated testing. A list of the best Web Services Testing API Tools is provided below. There are both open-source tool(s) and premium web API automation testing tool(s) on the list.
Table of content:
- What is API testing?
- Best API Testing Tools: REST & SOAP Web Services
What is API Testing?
In general, API testing serves as a conduit between programs, devices, and databases. Let’s pretend you’re looking for a flight on an online travel booking site. Within your established costs, it will ask you to provide the needed details such as source, destination, and one-way or round-trip journey details. When you click on search here, APIs come into play; it interacts with each airline’s API and returns results that meet your criteria. It all occurs in a matter of a few seconds. Isn’t there no use in using an API if it doesn’t work well in real-time scenarios? To avoid these scenarios, API testing is the best option. As a result, we must test the API before allowing the audience to use the service. It is crucial in the development of applications. API testing is a sort of software testing that is performed to develop APIs in order to ensure that the developed application’s functionality, execution, security, and trustworthiness are all met. It primarily focuses on software architecture’s Business Layer. Testing is a critical component of a Continuous Integration & DevOps application’s success.
Best API Testing Tools: REST & SOAP Web Services
API Testing Framework | API Automation Tools
|Katalon Studio||Free and also has a paid plan|
|Parasoft SOAtest||Free and also has a paid plan|
|Eggplant||Free and also has a paid plan|
|Subject7||Free and also has a paid plan|
|Postman||Free and also has a paid plan|
Katalon Studio provides an easy-to-use API testing environment (API test environment) for testers with and without programming skills.
- All forms of REST requests, SOAP, and SSL client certificates are supported.
- Import Swagger (2.0 and 3.0), Postman, WSDL, and WADL tests with ease.
- Better test coverage and reliability thanks to data-driven testing approaches.
- With AssertJ support, you may create fluent assertions in the BDD paradigm (API-based BDD tests).
- Support for using UI testing to set up API test data.
- For better monitoring and cooperation across testing teams, provide comprehensive test report dashboards for all testing stages.
Create a foundation of automated tests that can be used in your DevOps and continuous integration pipelines. By generating codeless API test scenarios from hand recordings, Parasoft SOAtest automates the ongoing testing of complex systems. SOAtest effectively converts your test artifacts into security tests (security testing) and performance tests (performance testing), eliminating redundancy and enhancing reusability.
- Create robust tests, reusable, and easily shareable API tests without writing any code.
- Use artificial intelligence to develop sophisticated test scenarios in a fraction of the time it takes with other technologies.
- Using app automation, keep test assets up to date with changing systems.
- Integrate load testing and service virtualization seamlessly.
Eggplant is the industry-leading API test automation solution that allows you to test APIs from beginning to end.
- Learn how the API responds to both valid and incorrect input.
- Beyond the simple API call and response, you may easily add extra instructions and actions.
- Anomaly behavior should be discovered and pinpointed before it affects your users.
- By integrating into APIs, you may automatically produce test automation materials by collecting and analyzing metadata.
- To understand real-world performance and behavior, combine API testing with UI validation.
- With pre-configured snippets, parameters, and SenseTalk scripts, you can quickly create and run API tests.
It is a cloud-based, “true codeless” test automation system that brings all testing together on a single platform and allows anyone to become an automation expert. Subject7 makes it simple to scale and conduct extensive API tests using a simple and easy-to-use interface that supports both REST and SOAP API testing as well as end-to-end and database testing.
- Both REST and SOAP services are supported.
- Allows for the verification of JSON and XML answers.
- Reads and saves values from API responses, allowing them to be easily integrated into the testing pipeline.
- Simple, non-metered price that ensures financial security.
- Type 2 SOC2 compatible
Postman is a Google Chrome extension that may be used to test API services. It’s a robust HTTP client for evaluating online services. Postman is an excellent alternative for manual testing or exploratory testing.
- Almost all modern web API data may be accessed with Postman.
- Within the Postman Interface, you can write Boolean tests.
- You can build a collection of REST calls and save each one as a separate collection for later execution.
- It is not a command-line tool, unlike CURL, which eliminates the need to paste text into a command line window.
- Postman is more dependable when it comes to sending and receiving REST data.
Whether you’re using Windows, Mac OS, or Linux, you can use the Postman app to test your REST APIs from any location.
Tricentis is a powerful tool for testing web services. The following are some of Tricentis Tosca’s most notable API Testing features:
- HTTP(s), AMQP, JMS, RabbitMQ, TIBCO EMS, SOAP, REST, IBM MQ, and NET TCP are among the protocols supported by this web services test tool.
- It integrates with Agile and DevOps cycles.
- It’s one of the best api automation solutions since it employs model-based test automation, which simplifies script maintenance.
- API tests can be utilized across mobile apps (a mobile application), cross – browser, bundled apps, and more, allowing for end-to-end testing.
The following are among Tricentis’ 400+ customers:
- Whole Foods
- Toyota, Allianz
- BMW, Starbucks
- Deutsche Bank
- UBS a7)
Since it was designed exclusively for API testing, SoapUI is the most extensively used tool for API testing in the world. It allows you to test REST and SOAP APIs with ease.
- Quick and Easy Test Creation: Complicated operations (such as dealing with JSON and XML) become simple with point-and-click and drag-and-drop features.
- Powerful data-driven testing: To simulate how customers interact with your APIs, load data from Excel, files, and databases.
- Reusability of Scripts: In just a few clicks, turn your functional test cases into load tests and security assessments.
- Seamless Integrations:Supports REST, SOAP, JMS, and IoT and integrates with 13 API management solutions.
Thousands of prominent enterprises, including Apple, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, HP, NASA, eBay, MasterCard, Intel, FedEx, and Pfizer, use SoapUI Pro. SOAPUI is capable of checking both SOAP and RESTful Web Services.
It provides an extensible framework for running and developing the functionality of headless systems without a user interface. It is one of the most effective api testing tools for testing headless technologies such as databases and web services, JMS, and so on. Users can convert soapUI tests to UFT (QTP) API tests using the API test conversion tool.
REST/HTTP APIs/RESTful APIs can be tested, mocked, recorded, and specified using the vREST API testing tool, which is available online.
- It’s a comprehensive tool for fast validating REST APIs.
- With less effort in API testing, this rest api test tool produces zero defect web apps.
- There are no professional resources necessary to validate your web application, and it can generate documentation for your API standards.
- Mock Server Functionality in vREST can be used to generate API mocks. Using fake HTTP requests, the user can immediately begin developing the frontend.
It’s a web development tool for automating online application testing, such as API, service, and website testing. It’s one of the top web api testing tools, and it’s usually used as a web API test tool to automate web API call testing.
HttpMaster is an excellent choice for API testing because it includes:
- A variety of http methods (GET, POST, DELETE etc.)
- To make batches of distinct API queries, dynamic parameters of multiple data kinds are used.
- Validation types and complex validation expressions are available.
- Ping is an API that allows you to schedule tests every minute or hour.
- Writing script to set request headers, body, and URL parameters is supported. It allows you to write a script that checks the response headers and body.
- It’s one of the greatest api tools for checking the CRUD flow and logging into the Ping API.
It’s a common rest api testing framework for Java that allows you to test REST services.
Karate is a brand-new API testing framework built on top of the cucumber library. Karate DSL is a domain-specific language that allows testers to build meaningful tests for web services.
- It has multi-threaded parallel execution and configuration switching/staging.
- Allows testing and report generation in the same way as a typical Java project does.
- It is possible to write tests without having to be a coder.
- Payload data and user-defined functions can be reused across tests with the karate API testing tool.
REST API testing tool with HTTP client, Request visualizer, and constructor. Rest Console is one of the best api testing tools available, assisting developers in the creation, debugging, and testing of RESTful APIs.
- Using raw input, create a POST or PUT body.
- Creating query parameters is simple.
- Customize your headers (custom headers) with an easy-to-use interface.
- Shortcuts and keyboard navigation.
Hippie-swagger is a testing tool for APIs. It’s one of the greatest API testing tools for expanding test behavior using a simple assertion syntax. It also provides for clear report printing.
- When swagger documentation is incorrect or missing, the test will fail.
- Assertion messages that are both readable and accurate.
- Parameters that have been validated, requests, responses, pats, and so forth.
PyRestTest is a REST API testing tool written in Python. It can run tests from JSON or YAML configuration files. As a result, no code is required.
- It has few dependencies (minimal dependencies), making it simple to deploy on a server for smoke tests and health checks.
- On failure, this REST API test tool will produce exit codes.
- Pyresttest allows you to create test scenarios by generating, extracting, and validating methods.
Rest API testers use Airborne as one of the top API test automation solutions for testing Rest APIs.
- Since Airborne is a programming and rest api testing framework, it doesn’t have a user interface other than a text file where you may write code (custom code).
- You only need to remember a few core toolset methods as well as some ruby and rspec concepts to use airborne.
JMeter is a perfect tool that is used for functional API testing, which encompasses everything that is required to test an API. JMeter is one of the best API testing tools, with advanced features that help to improve API testing performance.
- It can be used to test the performance (performance testing) of both plugin and dynamic resources.
- It allows you to playback test results.
- It can work with CSV files automatically. This enables the API test team to generate unique parameter values.
Apiary captures both request and response to allow monitoring of the API throughout the design phase. It enables users to create API blueprints and view them via Apiary editor or Apiary.jo.
- Access control for API documents depending on roles.
- It allows team members to be added and removed from API design projects.
- Dashboard for managing an API Blueprint.
SOAPSonar is a platform for testing and diagnosing SOAP, XML, and REST-based online applications. For automated tests, use external sources such as Excel, MS SQL, Oracle, or any ODBC database.
- This web services test tool detects vulnerabilities in Web Services such as Malware Threat and SQL Injection.
- Concurrent Client Load Testing and Web Service Functional Testing with Success Rule Framework
- HP QC integration is native, and Hudson, Ant, and JUnit integration is supported.
API science allows online APIs to be monitored for health, availability, and performance. It is one of the most effective api testing tools (popular tools) for monitoring Private, Partner, and Public APIs. This utility notifies the user if any API goes down, allowing them to take the necessary steps to restore service.
- A powerful reporting mechanism aids in gaining insights into historical trends and spotting potential concerns in the future.
- JSON, REST, XML formats, and Oauth are all supported.
- Aids in the management of the API supply chain.
Apigee is a tool for testing APIs across many clouds. It enables users to monitor and evaluate API performance (performance testing), as well as support and develop APIs using other editors such as Swagger. It has policies for security and governance that apply to all APIs.
- Allows for the creation, monitoring, deployment, and scaling of APIs.
- Create and deploy API proxies in the cloud using the Open API Specification.
- Track API traffic, error rates, and response times to identify performance issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is API?
An API is a set of software functions and processes that can be used to access and execute other software applications.
Which are the Best API Testing Tools?
The following are a few of the Best API Testing Tools:
- Katalon Studio
- Parasoft SOAtest
- SOAP UI
- HP QTP
What is the importance of API testing in agile development?
API Testing becomes more crucial in Agile development as development cycles become shorter, putting more strain on automated testing.
What are the general functionalities of API testing tools?
API testing tools have the following qualities in common:
- Features galore for swiftly validating your REST APIs.
- Validation types and complex validation expressions are supported.
- Allows you to write tests even if you aren’t a programmer.
- It has a simple user interface.
What are the benefits of API?
The following are some of the key benefits of API:
- Companies can adjust their workflow to become more productive.
- It allows you to customize the user experience.
- Organizations can easily personalize the service.
- Any program or website’s content can be embedded.
Additional information on REST API
- TestGrid API Testing is a lightweight, web-based API development suite with a minimalistic UI design that helps you test faster and release better. It’s 70% faster than the typical API automation method.
- ReadyAPI comes with built-in support (baked-in functionalities) for Git, Docker, Jenkins, Azure, and more.
- The WebInject tool creates test cases with an XML API and generates an HTML and XML report with pass/fail status, errors, and response times.
- Rest client is a Java application that may be used to test RESTful web services as well as many sorts of HTTP interactions.
- RedwoodHQ is an open-source tool for testing SOAP/REST API It supports a variety of programming language(s), including Java/Groovy, Python, and C#.
- Karate DSL is based on the Cucumber toolkit, making it simple to design scenarios for API-based BDD tests without having to write any code.